Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Prayer

I can't remember a time when prayer was not part of my life. My parents taught me to pray, and I learned from their example as we prayed as a family. We moved to California when I was 11 years old and prayer got me through the difficult months of going to a new school. Unexpected challenges and heartaches have been easier to bear because I have not borne them alone, prayer has lightened my burdens and given heavenly help. Some of the most sacred experiences I have had have been during my personal prayers.

Sometimes the things we do most regularly can become routine and automatic; my prayers too often slip into this category. A few weeks ago I decided to make a conscious effort to improve my prayers and found encouragement in Bishop McMullin's talk at General Conference, he said:

It is as important to be guided by the Holy Spirit while praying as it is to be enlightened by that same Spirit while receiving an answer to prayer. Such prayer brings forth the blessings of heaven because our Father “knoweth what things [we] have need of, before [we] ask him,”(Matt 6:8) and He answers every sincere prayer. Ultimately, it is the Father and the Son who promise, “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.” (Matt 7:7)
It's hard to say exactly what I have been doing differently in my prayers, but they have improved. I avoid repetitious phrases, pray in specifics, focus more often on giving thanks, pause to ponder rather than rushing to be finished. As a result I more easily feel the love of my Father, thoughts seem to come more often and clearly to my mind, and I find myself wanting to prolong my prayer and strengthen the bond it builds between myself and my Father.

It is an amazing privilege to approach God whenever I choose, to speak to him of personal cares and concerns. I know that prayers are heard and answered, that our Heavenly Father knows us individually and cares about whatever we care about. I know that love and comfort can be found wherever and whenever we go to him in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment