Sunday, June 19, 2011

God so loved the world

Sometimes I have the experience of learning something I thought I already knew. Michael McLean wrote a song about long-married love that says "compared to how I love you now, it's almost like it wasn't love before". Coming up on 36 years of marriage I identify with that statement. Shared experiences, heartaches, and joys deepen and sweeten love, it is truly a privilege to grow old together. What I thought I knew about love on my wedding day has been eclipsed by the love my sweetheart and I now share, and I think it will continue to get better.
Recently I gained a new understanding for the love our Father in Heaven and Our Savior have for each of us. I was sitting in the Provo temple and as I watched people come and go I had some tender thoughts. I first though how wonderful it would be to see one of my children come in the door. I would rise to meet them, we would embrace and I would tell them how happy I was to see them and how much I love them; it would be a joyful experience.
Then I had a newer, deeper thought. If the Savior was sitting in my place He would know everyone, He would rise and embrace each one and express His love and delight that they had come to His holy house.
Then I began to see everyone differently.  I realized that He knows their hearts and the burdens they carry. I remembered, somehow differently than before, that every person is of such great worth that He suffered for us all individually, as if it was all for us alone. In each person I began to see someone that my Savior loves dearly, someone He knows by name and circumstance, someone He was willing to die for.
I will be a better person if I can remember what I learned that day, that we are not as we might seem ~ we are precious children of God, greatly loved by Him.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God. D&C 18:10

No comments:

Post a Comment