Thursday, April 7, 2011

Goodbyes

I left home Tuesday morning to spend some time with Robin and her family while Carter continues his chemotherapy. It took several days to gather things and pack, and I got so excited to be with Robin's family again; but I wasn't prepared for how hard it would be to leave home and my husband. He was so helpful getting everything ready for the trip, he made sure the truck was in good shape for the long drive and even programmed the GPS so I wouldn't get lost. Pulling out of the driveway all by myself with over 800 miles to drive was difficult but I knew it was the right thing to do. 
Many years ago, when we lived in Idaho and our kids were small, Dave spent about 8 months working in California. I stayed home and tried to fill the role of mom and dad, it was a difficult time for all of us. Dave came home every month or so and I loved that, but here was always another goodbye waiting around the corner. During one of those long months I saw a movie called 'The Other Side of the Mountain'  about an Olympic skier named Jill Kinmont who also had some separations from the one she loved. One scene gave me comfort; she and her sweetheart were saying goodbye and as she was crying he said 'just be grateful that you love someone so much that it hurts so deeply to say goodbye'. 
I thought of that Tuesday morning,and a few times since. I feel like only half a person without my sweetheart, I guess we have started the process of becoming one.
The next few weeks will be full of joy and wonderful opportunities here with my grandchildren, and I look forward to the day when Dave comes to drive home with me and I will feel whole again. 

1 comment:

  1. That brought tears to my eyes, Karie. I sure love both of you.

    ReplyDelete