Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Doing Good

The second law of thermodynamics says that everything, left to itself, moves toward disorder. 
Our former bishop, Bishop Larsen, was fond of saying that good things don't just happen. 
This morning on the radio the man said that too often we wait for specific days of the year to do or to expect great things to happen. That we should take advantage of every day, and create good things, build good memories, help others. 
It isn't that hard; smile at a stranger, compliment your spouse, share vegetables from the garden, pray for someone, make an unexpected visit or phone call, write a note, bake cookies for someone. 
 A favorite poem, written by George Small, says this better than I: 
I read in a book about a man called Christ
Who went about doing good.
It is disconcerting to me 
That I am content 
With just going about.
So, I want to work on filling my days with good things, to avoid letting them move toward disorder, lack of achievement or purpose. This only happens as I put forth effort, and make good things happen.

2 comments:

  1. You are so philisophical Karie, you put me to shame. I can always gain something when listening to your reflections and prospectives.

    ReplyDelete