Monday, March 8, 2010

Scriptures and Revelation

A few days ago I found myself once again in 1 Nephi, as I continue my reading of the Book of Mormon. I don't know how many times I have read those first words recorded in this book which has become so precious to me, certainly they are dear and very familiar. My challenge is to see beyond the familiarity, to understand what the Lord intended when he inspired Nephi-and the prophets who followed him-to write this record we embrace as another witness of Jesus Christ.
I have learned that my scripture study is more meaningful and productive when I kneel and pray before I begin. I trust in the words Jesus spoke to his apostles shortly before his death ~
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26)
I pray for the Holy Ghost to be with me as I read and study, that the message the Lord has for me will be brought clearly to my mind. I have heard it said the when we want to speak to the Lord we pray, and when we want to hear him speak to us we read scripture. I have found that when I approach this unmerited privilege of reading the words of God humbly and prayerfully, he does speak to me, not only through the printed words but through the ministration of the Holy Ghost who teaches me, bringing insights and ideas for personal application to my mind. I often write these ideas that come, and know that they are not my thoughts - they came from my loving Father.
The scriptures are a conduit from the Lord to us; through them we can know his will for us as individuals. Scripture study puts us in a position to hear the messages our Father would give us, it sets the stage for sacred personal revelation and guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment